At Mayfield Salisbury our work is permeated by a theology which is rational, progressive and pertinent to life in the 21st Century. In particular, we believe that beauty in worship: in the liturgy, in the music, in the sanctuary, is vitally important and we aim was to pursue distinctiveness and excellence in all that we offer.
Those who have committed to a life based on faith believe they have something to offer in today’s world where increasingly people are searching for a route to spirituality. Our aim here at Mayfield Salisbury is first to centre our lives more and more on prayer. Timothy Radcliffe OP reminds us that ‘the point of the Christian life is just to be with God.' Jesus says to the disciples: 'Abide in my love'. Today many churches are frantically busy attempting to attract new worshippers. Many new worship styles aim to make people happy, to
entertain them. Our hope here is to become a worshipping community where people can come together to encounter God. To this end we aim to offer a variety of distinctive services which are appropriate and meaningful for every stage of life. For many years we were blessed by being led by a minister who was not only a great preacher but was particularly skilled in the art of spirituality and the conduct of public worship, a legacy we aim to continue.
Mayfield Salisbury Church has always been a vibrant worshipping community. It's history dates back to the late nineteenth century. It arose not as the result of some violent schism but solely because of the rapid growth of the city. In those days Newington, with its dwellings, shops and businesses, was bounded on its south side by the old drove road (now East and West Mayfield) beyond which were the farms and fields of Mayfield. About 1870 Duncan McLaren of Newington House, a past Lord Provost and MP, began feuing this Mayfield land and by the time of his death in 1886 it was almost wholly built over. It was against this background that Mayfield Free Church (as it was first called) was born in 1875. The site for the present church at the corner of West Mayfield was selected in July 1876, and the main sanctuary was completed in 1879, the spire being added in 1894. A detailed account of our history, inluding the booklet which was produced for our centenary in 1975, can be found in the History sections of this web site.